Most of all non-immigrant applicants arrive to the United States with a B-1/B-2 visa stamped on their passports. These visas allow you to enter the United States on a “temporary basis” and maybe extended for six months with a valid reason for extension. Did you know that these visas are not the same? That is, they are intrinsically independent of one another and entitle the bearer to certain benefits? It is very important to understand and recognize the differences between these two visas. B-1 visas are used for business purposes or for educational training. With a B-1 visa you can engage in commercial transactions not involving gainful employment such as negotiating contracts, participating in litigation, and consulting with clients or business associates. If you have a B-1/B-2 visa stamp on your passport you are allowed to purchase property or establish any type of bank account. A B-2 visa is the most common non-immigrant visa. Mostly for tourist, social, relative or family visits and health purposes. You will have to demonstrate through bank letters and other financial documents that you are capable of supporting yourself during your temporary stay, as well as provide documentation to prove ties to your home country. With this visa you are not allowed to work, receive any sort of financial remuneration, or seek any employment opportunity.


1101 Brickell Avenue, South Tower, Suite 700
Miami, FL 33131
Telephone:   305-579-9218
FAX:   305-579-9219
E-mail:  Canero Lammers Immigration Law Group