WHAT WE DOEmployment Authorization and Travel Document Information and Renewals

I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and I-131, Application for Travel Document:

If your I-765 and I-131 are approved on the same date, you must wait for your Combo Card to be delivered to your home. Once you receive your card, you must wait for your Social Security Card to be delivered to your home to be able to work with the petitioner.

You can also travel outside the US with your card if necessary. You cannot leave the United States until your I-131 is approved and the card is in your possession, otherwise you will abandon your petition and can be denied entry to the US.

You cannot work in the United States until your I-765 is approved and the card is in your possession.

It is extremely important that you send us a copy of you and your family’s cards. If USCIS does not issue the card correctly and you decide to travel, you abandon AOS process and you need to pay to process consular which will take more than 8 months.

Please make sure your card says Serves as I-512 Advance Parole on the bottom if you wish to travel.

In some cases, USCIS may approve the 1-765 and 1-131 on different dates, resulting in a work permit card and an advance parole travel document.

Your combo card is valid for 1 year, because it takes 6 -8 months to process, you must renew these permits in a timely manner. We recommend 4 months before the expiration of the card to maintain uninterrupted ability to work and travel.

Below are the links to the instructions and forms you will need to submit to renew your Employment Authorization Document and Travel Document:


1101 Brickell Avenue, South Tower, Suite 700
Miami, FL 33131
Telephone:   305-579-9218
FAX:   305-579-9219
E-mail:  Canero Lammers Immigration Law Group